Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher
A HUD funded tenant-based program which allows qualifed households to receive rental assistance in the unit of their choice, as long as it meets certain criteria. The process is:
- When an applicant's name reaches the top of the SFHRC waiting list and funding becomes available, the applicant will be contacted to complete a formal application to determine if they meet HUD's eligiblity criteria.
- If they do meet HUD's eligibility criteria, they will be issued a Section 8 "Housing Choice Voucher". The Voucher holder will be allowed sixty (60) days to locate a unit that meets HUD's standards.
- The rent the landlord is asking must be reasonable and the unit must meet HUD's Housing Quality Standards. However, the tenant cannot initially pay more than 40% of their adjusted monthly income for rent and utilities.
- The tenant rent is not based on 30% of their monthly adjusted income. Instead, there is a maximum amount of subsidy that will be paid on the tenant's behalf each month, based on a HUD formula.
- It is the tenant's responsibility to pay the difference between that amount and the rent the landlord is asking for the unit.
| Security Deposit | Application Fee | Informal Review/Hearings | FAQ | S8 Admin Plan |
| Briefing Video | TCRF | Date last applicants contacted for Voucher and application Date |
| Forms | |Foreclosure and Tenant Rights|
To apply or for further information contact
Sioux Falls Housing & Redevelopment Commission