- When an applicant's name reaches the top of the SFHRC waiting list and funding becomes available, the applicant will be contacted to complete a formal application to determine if they meet HUD's eligiblity criteria.
- If they do meet HUD's eligibility criteria, they will be issued a Section 8 "Housing Choice Voucher". The Voucher holder will be allowed sixty (60) days to locate a unit that meets HUD's standards.
- The rent the landlord is asking must be reasonable and the unit must meet HUD's Housing Quality Standards. However, the tenant cannot initially pay more than 40% of their adjusted monthly income for rent and utilities.
- The tenant rent is not based on 30% of their monthly adjusted income. Instead, there is a maximum amount of subsidy that will be paid on the tenant's behalf each month, based on a HUD formula.
- It is the tenant's responsibility to pay the difference between that amount and the rent the landlord is asking for the unit.
- In most cases the tenant will not pay more than 30% of their monthly income for rent and utilities.
- This assistance goes with the tenant and can be transferred to other states and localities, as long as the tenant does not vacate their unit in violation of the terms of their lease and they comply with program requirements.
An application for placement on the waiting list for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher can be obtained at the office of Sioux Falls Housing & Redevelopment Commission during office hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. To have an application mailed call 605.332.0704 (Tel.) or 605.332.0256 (TTY).